Water Infrastructure

The EDA is actively assisting the Doddridge County Public Service District in developing and expanding water infrastructure throughout Doddridge County. 

The Town of West Union, currently the only water provider in the county, serves approximately 21.7% of Doddridge County residents with water. This leaves 78.3% of the county’s residents, or approximately 6,570, to rely upon alternative water sources. Typical water sources utilized are water wells, springs, cisterns, and off-site water hauling.

In 2016, through funding provided by the Doddridge County Commission, E.L. Robinson Engineering completed a county-wide water study and developed a master plan to provide water service to unserved residents in Doddridge County. 

The completed study divides the county into 27 project areas. Each project area has customer density, census tract information, and potential funding sources identified. This allows the EDA and DCPSD to apply for applicable funding for different projects as that funding becomes available.

The three highest-priority waterline extension project areas have been identified as the Route 18-Snowbird Road area, Route 23-Big Flint area, and the Oxford-Sunnyside area. Through a bidding process, E.L. Robinson was selected as the engineering firm to oversee all waterline extension projects in the three priority areas.

Doddridge County is decades behind neighboring counties in supplying its citizens with safe, reliable and affordable public water. There is a growing need in Doddridge County for public water, both industrially and domestically, and this need will continue to grow in the future. The EDA and PSD are working together to rectify this problem.

Locating funding sources is the major obstacle for any utility project. In most cases the DCPSD is required to have at least 80% of potential customers signed up prior to a project being deemed feasible. Local citizen support is crucial in moving these projects forward.

The DCPSD has contracted with the state’s Region VI Planning & Development Council to administer various funds for the priority projects. Region VI has also prepared and submitted grant applications on the PSD’s behalf in connection with these projects.

The Doddridge County Commission, as a long-term investment in the county’s infrastructure, has already donated/committed $1,900,000 towards various DCPSD water projects. Without these significant matching investments from the County Commission, other funding sources in the form of state and federal grants would not materialize. All three County Commissioners have been outspoken advocates for providing safe and reliable drinking water to the people of Doddridge County. 

 

County Programs and Events

Doddridge county is home to a very active civil society. Clubs and organizations for all ages and interests are located throughout West Union and the surrounding county. They include the CEOs, Lions Club, Veterans of Foreign Wars, FFA, 4H, and the Mountaineer Creative Arts Council, among others. Recreational and educational programs are provided year round at Doddridge County parks and libraries. 

One week every August, Doddridge county hosts a large fair complete with carnival rides and food, racing events, pageants, and live entertainment. The Doddridge County Fair brings thousands of patrons each day it’s open.

Every July the Doddridge County Chamber of Commerce hosts a festival in honor of one of Doddridge County’s most notable characters, Ephraim Bee. Entertainment includes music, vendors. an Ugly Man contest, the Jones-Imboden 5k and the Queen Bee pageant. 

Related Links

Center Point Outpost Library

Doddridge County CEOS

Doddridge County Fair

Doddridge County Lions Club

Doddridge County Parks

Doddridge County Public Library, West Union

Ephraim Bee Festival

Future Farmers of America (FFA)

Mountaineer Creative Arts Council

Veterans of Foreign War Post 3408

WVU Extension Service, Doddridge County

 

 

County Comprehensive Plan

"Doddridge County will continue to celebrate our history and use our vast resources and manpower to create opportunities for growth in search of a bright future. The county will strive to improve infrastructure and invest in our communities while also fostering our family values."

 

View Doddridge County Comprehensive Plan 

 

Planning Committee:

Jennifer Wilt, Chair

Norma Bowyer, Secretary

Zona Hutson

Ronald Spencer

Ronnie Travis

Brad Wilt

Mark Yonkin

The County Seat, Historic West Union

West Union, the county seat of Doddridge County, was  incorporated in the mid-1800s, but did not come into its own until the first gas and oil boom in the 1890s. From that wealth sprang a town of beautiful homes and buildings that still retains its beauty and integrity today. The Downtown Historic District contains thirty contributing homes and buildings, four of which are on the National Register of Historic Places. The Residential Historic District includes approximately 88 contributing home.

 

The contributing homes were mostly built around the turn of the century and are in a variety of architectural styles. Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Second Empire and Bungalow are the predominant styles you will see in the Residential Historic District. The oldest home in the district was built for Sheriff Floyd Neely in 1858. It is built in the Second Empire style and still retains its original look.

 

The first stores in West Union were wooden structures that came and went with several devastating fires in the mid to late 1800s. But by the early 1900s, multi-storied brick structures started lining the streets of West Union. The most spectacular of these buildings is the Doddridge County Court House, which is invariably praised by awestruck visitors.

 

The Court House, completed in 1903, sits atop a hill that overlooks downtown West Union. Its imposing beauty dominates the backdrop of the Historic District. This three-and-a-half story Romanesque style brick and stone building was designed by J. Charles Fulton and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The Doddridge County Commission recently invested over $2,000,000 in restoring and preserving on this historic gem.

 

The Silas P. Smith Opera House is another significant building in West Union. This Romanesque and Revival style building was built in 1900 to satisfy the cultural tastes of Silas P. Smith’s wife, who grew up in a large city and was unaccustomed to what she considered the uncultured lifestyle of West Union at that time. Since it closed its doors as an Opera House the building has alternately served as a venue for other public performances, including vaudeville and political speeches, as well as apartments, offices, a museum and a library. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.

 

The Charter House is an impressive two-story, red brick home with Italianate style influences. It was built in 1877 for Lathrop Russell Charter, a prominent physician and surgeon who was born in Massachusetts, attended medical school in Albany, New York and moved to West Union in 1845. The home has had very few alterations over the years, so it retains its original significance and beauty. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

 

The Stuart Mansion is a three-story, brick, Victorian home built in the very early 1900s for an attorney named Winfield Scott Stuart. Construction was completed in about 1916. Winfield was the son of Chapman J. Stuart, Lieutenant in the Civil War, a judge and Senator who was credited with naming the new state of West Virginia in 1863. The mansion has magnificent rounded towers and a wrap-around porch. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.

 

By 1910 West Union had been transformed from a crude shanty-town into a thriving small city with three hotels, two boarding houses, two theaters, three banks, two glass factories, two quality clothing stores, three blacksmiths, two tanneries, three grocery stores, a Chinese laundry, a bakery, and an opera house. Most of those businesses are gone today, but West Union still has the look and feel of an early 20th century small town.